Friday, May 20, 2016

The Nice Guys- Movie Review


What do you get when you mix Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, the 70s, and a chain of murders in the in the LA area? A masterfully executed comedy with two of Hollywood's best. Because these guys barely tweeted about this film (inside joke), I had no idea what to expect going into this film. I was floored with how good The Nice Guys was. This film is easily one of the best of the year (you know, so far. We're only in May. Jesus. Too many movies).

The pairing of Gosling and Crowe may be one of the best castings in recent memory. The two stars worked incredibly well together and we're absolutely hilarious. Gosling played a charming alcoholic while Crowe portrayed a Brooklyn tough guy and it worked perfectly. They're conflicting characters meshed amazingly well and their simplest gestures received incredible amounts of laughter. I honestly need a sequel to this movie for these two alone. It seemed as if these two worked together a trillion times because it just felt so natural. It says a lot about the caliber of both of these brilliant performers. I personally love both and feel both (Gosling especially) don't receive enough credit. Hopefully, this movie turns more heads and allows more to appreciate these two. Mr. Gosling and Mr. Crowe, thank you for your wonderful work in this film. You both blew me away. I also have to tip the cap to the third star of this film, Angourie Rice. The teenager who played Gosling's daughter had incredible range and was hilarious. She's not in much of the advertising but she's a key part in this film. I loved her and hope she continues on a successful path. She has some serious chops.

Now, my last exposure to Shane Black was Iron Man 3. So when I heard about this project, I was semi-skeptical. Yet, the writing was fantastic. This is one of the best written films of the year so far. Every moment had a purpose and nothing felt rushed. The characters were all written perfectly and I had no issues with this film what so ever. The plot was interesting and it took the audience on a wild goose chase like no other. I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery so I was immediately hooked. The story was paced extremely well and the mystery never got confusing. It honestly perfectly executed.

What I loved most about this film was everybody seemed to be having such fun working together. This project was made with people who genuinely cared about the film and genuinely enjoyed working together. I pray this ensemble comes back together to make a sequel. It would be fantastic.

PLEASE SEE THIS MOVIE THIS WEEKEND. GIVE IT YOUR MONEY. IT RULES.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment