Saturday, February 13, 2016

Deadpool- Movie Review


For years, Ryan Reynolds and the crew behind Deadpool had been trying to anxiously get this project green lit by Fox. After some leaked test footage hit the internet and basically everybody lost their minds, Fox decided to move forward with the project. This past Thursday, I had the opportunity to see the finished product that took years to finally come in to fruition. And I have to say it's one of the best comic book movies ever created.

When it comes to comic book films, variety is everything. The folks over at Marvel truly understand this. In the last few years, we've gotten (and will continue to get) a bunch of movies about "non main-stream" heroes. These movies have taken products that weren't necessarily the most popular and turned them into some incredibly lovable and extremely popular characters amongst movie goers. Yet, Deadpool kicked the door the down in terms of what you can do in a comic book film. For starters, the success it's had this weekend as a Rated-R film is remarkable. It goes to show if people believe in a project, they will dish out the cash to see it despite the rating. The marketing for this movie was top notch and really created an overall anticipation for this film. When I finally got to the theater, I couldn't contain my excitement. This movie was absolutely everything I wanted and more.

Ryan Reynolds is absolutely fantastic as Wade Wilson. It's the most identical comic to film translation I've ever seen. From now on when I read Deadpool comics, I'll imagine Reynolds voice because it's exactly what I thought he'd sound like. He was witty and vulgar but still had a great heart. The character was written beautifully and Reynolds did a fantastic job of bringing Wade Wilson to life. I also have to acknowledge Ed Skrein's performance as Ajax. He was honestly my favorite comic book movie villain in some time. The script really fleshed out his character and took the time to build a legitimate tension between him and Wade. By the time these two finally fought, the stakes were incredibly high and you legitimately cared about the outcome. I think Skrein did a wonderful job at being just an outright jerk and it worked well in the movie. These two were the two highlights of the cast by far.

In terms of the film itself, the pacing and script were top notch. There was never a dull moment throughout the entire runtime. It was full of action and important dialogue that was necessary for this film. One major plus of this film was that everything felt necessary. There was nothing randomly in this movie just to be in it. Everything made a ton of sense. I also loved the script. It was the perfect mix of humor, drama, and action. It blended those three aspects beautifully and the final product was just awesome. I've honestly never laughed harder in a theater in my entire life. The humor wasn't forced and it was just awesome. The action and fighting were also really well done. The choreography was great and the stakes always felt super high.

My only complaint about this movie is certain characters weren't really fleshed out. Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead were great, but you didn't really get to know them. I appreciated them for tying Deadpool to the X-Men universe, but I wish I saw more of these two. Especially, Negasonic Teenage Warhead. I thought because of the marketing, she was going to be all over this movie. Yet, she's maybe in it for about fifteen minutes. The script also didn't flesh out Weasel at all. I'm a big T.J. Miller fan so I was disappointed that his best lines were the ones seen in the marketing for this film. Yet, besides that, every character is super lovable and I'm beyond excited for a sequel.

Through and through, Deadpool is one of the best movie you will see in 2016. It's really expanded what people can do with comic book movies and created some of the most lovable heroes to ever hit theaters. I absolutely loved this movie.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment