Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Risen- Movie Review


As the month of February wraps up, a ton of movies are being pushed out and us movie goers pray they don't suck. One of these films was Risen. Yes, another film about the cruel and unusual circumstances surrounding the death and resurrection of Jesus. I was a huge skeptic going into this because nothing will ever really top Passion of The Christ in terms of a direct bible to film translation. Yet, despite what the lovely critics are saying, Risen was a unique and ultimately very decent film that told a well known story from a very different perspective.

When I googled this film to look up all the information in regards to names of the actors, directors, etc, I was shocked at how negatively received this film was by other reviewers. I don't want to say all movie sites agree on every film (trust me they never do) but I honestly thought this film was going to get more praise. The story of this film isn't about Jesus and that's what I loved about it. The film centers around a Roman Centurion named Clavius (portrayed by Joseph Fiennes). Yes, Jesus in this film. Yes, it's about Jesus rising from the dead. But the real story lies in the conversion of the character Clavius and how he becomes a better person in the end. This was the most unique perspective in terms of films regarding the passion. We see the opposing side's view on the entire thing. Being somebody whose taken too many religion classes, I really enjoyed that. It was new and something many viewers knew nothing about. It focused on the politics surrounding Jesus and I enjoyed that aspect.

In terms of performances, Joseph Fiennes was an above average leading man. Being that the entire film is about him, he did a very good job of not getting boring and really delivering a decent performance. I bought into his character and the journey that the character went through. I also have to note that Draco Malfoy is in this film. Yes, Tom Felton is in this. I was almost too excited to see him and he actually did a good job. Ten points for.. just kidding, I'm not a jerk. Cliff Curtis played Yeshua (the Hebrew name for Jesus) and he was actually the most likable Jesus I've ever seen in film. He had very few lines but his visuals spoke a ton. I liked the cast for the most part and most performances were very up to par.

Now, this film has problems. The script isn't the best and at times, this felt like a made for television type film. But, through and through, Risen was very original and a very happy movie. It made me feel super good about myself for a variety of reasons. Any film that can convey a decent reaction like that is a decent film in my book. It was a very average movie with a ton of positives. If your mother or grandmother is nagging you to go to the movies, take them to go see Risen. It's a fun time at the movies and the story is awe inspiring.

Rating: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment