Friday, May 13, 2016

The Darkness- Movie Review


As you know, I'm the type to give horror movies a chance. Recently, I've regretted that mindset every time I leave a theater after seeing a new "horror" movie. I felt the same way leaving the theater after I watched The Darkness. This was a clunker.

My main gripe with this movie is the star Kevin Bacon really tried. He wasn't bad at all. The script was just absolutely trash. They tried shoving so much into one movie that by the time we hit the climax, nobody cares. This was a Hallmark family drama that had creepy spirits looming in the background. This movie was not scary at all. It was stupid, rushed, and focused on the wrong things. They have every single annoying jump scare that you could possibly come up with. And by the time they revealed these spirits that were creating havoc for this family, I laughed. I actually laughed. That's how bad it was.

For a few moments, I thought this movie was going swimmingly. Honestly, the first twenty minutes set up a world I could buy into. I think Native American mythology is particularly creepy and thought they had a great concept here. Yet, they dedicate multiple scenes with characters watching YouTube videos to learn about Native Americans. Instead of something interesting, both parents in this film google what's going on. I swear to God. They google it. And that was about six minutes of screen time. Instead of investigating by asking experts or going back to the Grand Canyon, they google stuff. I was also really buying into the main boy, who happens to be autistic (because you know why not?) But then the mom (played by Rahda Mitchell) draws a connection between autism and the paranormal and that's where I gave up on this movie. This is a stink fest and the ending will make you want a refund.

Don't see this movie. Please don't. I still love you Kevin Bacon. I'm not mad at you. I'm just.. disappointed.

Rating: F

No comments:

Post a Comment