Monday, May 9, 2016

Sing Street- Movie Review


For starters, I saw one trailer for this film once and had no idea what to expect. I also didn't plan on seeing it because limited releases/small releases are hard to come by. But, my god am I glad I saw Sing Street. This is one of the best coming of ages films I've ever seen.

Going into this, I had no expectations besides what Will, a friend of the site, had told me. He praised the film and we usually agree on things, so when I saw this film was playing in my local theater, I made immediate plans to check it out. I try my best to see indie films and I'm extremely glad I was able to see Sing Street. Everything about this movie was just fantastic.

The cast is all no names. I've honestly never seen any of these actors before but everybody was great. The lead Ferdia Walsh-Peelo was excellent and he showed an amazing emotional range in this film. His voice is not too shabby either. I also have to praise the performance of Jack Reynor, who plays Cosmo's (Walsh-Peelo's) brother, Brendan. He too delivered a full package performance full of laughs and emotion. He was my favorite character in this film because you felt his interior struggle with life and how he never chased his dreams. The chemistry between these two was also undying. It felt like a real brother relationship and it was more than exceptional.

This film also featured a ton of original music that was super catchy. This film had a ton of great music, both original and non-original (huge props for Duran Duran and Genesis being featured). I honestly have hopes this group becomes a real band and conquers the industry. Although highly unlikely, I truly loved the sounds featured in this film and I highly implore you to check it all out.

The story of this film is charming, emotional, and at times hilarious. It's a truly beautiful coming of age film that tells such a deep and fantastic story. It even moved me to tears. If you have the chance to check this out, do. It's truly something special.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment